‘MUNDANE’ MOMENTS CAN CREATE JOY
In our most recent Youth Culture Uncovered (YCU), young people from The Love Network shared some of the (seemingly mundane) small things that make them feel good everyday. It’s important to recognise young people’s need to find some sense of self-control in this environment of flux, considering that how much joy you can create in your daily life is intrinsically linked to your own situation and systemic access you have.
By taking time to appreciate these small moments in the everyday, it’s possible to create a real and tangible sense of joy and purpose. We learned from our YCU research that 75% of young Irish people have “focused in on the little things that give you personal joy”. While not always as ‘exciting’ as the more typically conventional moments of joy we might think of (i.e. life’s big highpoints) these little moments are creating important and much needed goodwill for young people in the everyday. There’s joy to be found everywhere, even taking out the bins!
- “A text from my mum.” Audrey, 25, Seattle
- “The first few seconds of lying down for a nap.” Eoin, 26, Cork
- “Taking the garbage out - it feels cleansing.” Megan, 28, Manchester
- “Making memories and talking about them later.” Dash, 22, Leicester
- “F*ck self improvement, I just want a good coffee in the morning.” Vicente, 29, Barcelona
- “The next thing to look forward to all the time…having something exciting makes the day much more worth it.” Max, 24, Berlin
- “Learning a new scooter trick.” Kevin, 19, Bristol
- “Seeing the flowers come up in Spring.” Amy, 25, Manchester